Bishop and Chapter met 21 November 2022 in person and with video conference participation, 9 of 13 members present. The Dean led some discussion about governance structure referring specifically to the board model now in place for Bishop and Chapter since 2015. The goal is that all Cathedral ministries fall under one of eight Chapter committees which improves communication, the Chapter being elected for the purpose of making decisions not solving problems. A simple schematic was referenced. Minutes from 17 October 2022 were adopted.
• request for funding from Montgomery Street School Home and School Association
From the Dean
• Cathedral: outside Communions (1); committee/group meetings (6); baptism preparation concluded; Greater Chapter and Diocesan Synod; usual staff meetings weekly; opening of the legislature; Remembrance Day and Campus Ministry Event; First Communions; 20 November; Deanery Clericus (1)
• Role Vacancies: Safe Church Officer; Synod substitute (16-35); Assistant(s) to the Verger; Mission Outreach
• Diocesan: Diocesan Finance Committee (1); Synod Planning (2); Ordination 20 November; Fredericton and York Deanery Clericus (1)
Potential Restoration Project - Facilitated by Source Alliance, the draft of a Case for Support of a project responding to the Building Conditions and Issues Report is nearing final stages. In the next several weeks meetings of both Chapter and Diocesan executives will be scheduled with the goal of interviews beginning in the new year.
Nominating Committee - a motion to amend the Bishop and Chapter By-Law regarding appointment, membership, and function of the Nominating Committee was adopted unanimously and will be finalized by Archbishop Edwards.
Electrical Contractor - Dobbelsteyn S&M retained as contracter
School Lunch Programme Support - that we support Montgomery Street School lunch programme in the amount of $2000
Transfer of Funds - that $9,669 be transferred to the investment fund having been given and restricted for special purposes
Treasurer - some significant progress was made in revenue during October with Thanksgiving and a five-Sunday month. October expenses under budget but YTD expenditures are $26,838 over. Year-to-date revenue deficit $15,019. Decline in regular offerings continues during 2022. Preparing the 2023 budget will be challenging
Communications - 2 Minutes for Ministry presentations encouraged. Christmas advertising budget to be used on Facebook
Property - moving to complete the smaller possible projects. Northside Cathedral basement doors have been identified
Finance and Administration - work on a Narrative Budget, staff policy handbook and consideration of third-party insurance continue
Welcome and Hospitality - refreshments following worship are slowly resuming. Interest is being expressed and will support a new committee
Health and Pastoral Care - Health Ministry met 10 November. Assessing possible programming under current circumstances
Christian Formation - one baptism on 05 November, six first communions 20 November. ADVENT-ures programming underway.
• Advent Lessons and Carols, 4:00 pm (27 November)
• Giving Tuesday 29 November
• Christmas Lessons and Carols, 4:00 p.m. (18 December)
• Usual Christmas Schedule (Christmas and New Year’s on Sunday)