Bishop and Chapter met on Monday, 16 October 2017 with twelve of thirteen members present. Minutes of 18 September 2017 were adopted. The Dean led a brief study of the Gospel from the previous Sunday lectionary (Matthew 22:1-14). Those invited to the wedding banquet rejected the gracious invitation. Others took it lightly. Many are called, few are chosen.
Cathedral / Diocesan Properties Update
Bishop Edwards offered a concise update on progress with ongoing deliberations of the ad hoc Committee. To date, several meetings with City officials, several meetings of the ad hoc group and others. Next steps include verifying that a project as envisioned is viable and executing an engagement process with “the community” (congregation, neighbourhood, City and Diocese) with the goal of obtaining support, input and guidance. Our location makes this a sensitive endeavour.
• Cathedral Trust Funds/Endowments - Justice Ron Stevenson, with the assistance of Bruce Eddy QC, were engaged by Administration and Finance Committee to review the history and current status. An exhaustive and extensive report was returned in September with sincere thanks. Report received for the Chapter’s consideration. Recommendations arising to be discussed at next meeting.
• Cathedral By-Laws - a 3rd draft of proposed changes circulated
• Financial Audit - Decision item below
• Stipend of the Dean - to be addressed prior to 2018
• Chapter Vacancy - Hospitality/Welcoming. A committee chair is currently a high priority need
Items for Decision
1. Financial Audit- motion carried to engage the firm of Bringloe Feeney LLP to conduct a review engagement on 2017 financials, 22-26 January 2018 with report to the Chapter and the Annual Meeting
From the Dean
• Normal - 8 home visits, 4 visits to hospital, 1 funeral, 16 diocesan and Cathedral meetings
• Hospitality/Welcoming - our lack of protocol and process for welcoming new-comers and their assimilation needs to be of concern. The lack of an individual to lead this ministry as a member of the Chapter is significant to congregational health and growth
• Treasurer - financials to 30 September presented and considered. Income and expenses are both below amounts budgeted. If we continue close to budget on both, a year-end deficit is unlikely
• Communications - 2 minutes for Cathedral ministry being scheduled. Lawn sign replacement in progress.
• Health and Pastoral Care - up-coming events include a health information session, Fit Club restart
• Worship - Reading Scripture in Public - 28 October
• Christian Formation - Godly Play, Life in the Eucharist, Taize worship
• Property - considering options for restoration of Cathedral south doors. Insulation over choir room and sacristy pending
• Mission Outreach - mission to Belize a current emphasis. Monday outreach continues
• Administration and Finance - Safe Church volunteer position descriptions and forms for volunteers to be tabled for the Chapter’s approval in November. Records management review continues
Medley Poems by Robert Hawkes Book Launch and Evensong - 05 November; Baptism preparation begins this week
20 November; 11 December; 22 January. Annual 25 February 2018