Bishop and Chapter met on Wednesday evening, 15 February with nine of thirteen members present. The meeting was postponed from 13 February due to weather. Minutes of the 16 January 2017 meeting were adopted. The Dean offered some reflection on the Gospel for the coming Sunday and the nature of truth as it is considered in light of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount. (Matthew 5:38-48).
• Stipends and salaries – while a cost of living increase was applied to Dean’s stipend and staff salaries, further consideration is pending with a goal of annual review
• Nominating Committee – two nominations for recommendation to the Bishop for appointment and one for election. Nominations for Synod delegates in two categories including age 16-25 have been secured. (See Diocesan Constitution s. 4) Further nominations will be accepted from the floor.
• Diocesan Safe Church Regulation – the task group assigned to propose a Cathedral implementation process has completed its work with the Chapter’s thanks. Items for decision from recommendations.
From the Dean
• Routine activities – summary review of regular work
• Christian formation – continuing to investigate options regarding a possible near future staff position in Christian formation with a beginning focus on children and young families
• Scheduling – for honorary clergy participating in worship Mar-May should begin this week
• Vacation – scheduled for 17 – 30 April 2017
Items for Decision
• Safe Church Cathedral Policy – to become compliant with Diocesan Regulation 4-4 several actions recommended. Decision was made on three first steps:
1) The Executive negotiate and appoint a Cathedral Safe Church Officer beginning with a one year term, with honorarium if necessary, to coordinate implementation
2) That we proceed with initial requirements of training and police record checks for high risk volunteers and staff
3) That Health Ministry proceed with implementation requirements as needed for health ministries
• 2017 Budget – be approved as presented in the current Annual Report and be presented at the Annual Meeting
• South Porch Window – that the stained glass in the south porch be repaired at a cost of about $2000, restoration fund to be utilized
Items for Discussion
• Annual Meeting – some final details regarding child care and lunch were discussed
• Treasurer – absent due to family matters out of province, K. Percy provided the monthly statement for January 2017.
Thanks – were expressed to members ending their term, Dianne Wilkins, Kathy McBride and Catherine Schmidt
• Annual Meeting – 19 February (26 February snow date)
• After ALPHA (22 February)
• Belize Dessert Party and Silent Auction (25 February)
• Pancake Supper (28 February)
• Ash Wednesday (01 March)
Next meetings: 20 March, 15 May