Bishop and Chapter met on Monday evening, 21 November with nine of thirteen members present. Minutes of the October meeting were adopted. The Dean offered some reflections on the reality of the kingdom of God among us, leading us into a conversation about ways in which we might move towards becoming less maintenance and more missional in our focus. The discussion took us naturally into considering how “Divine Renovation” by James Mallon might assist us in the task of improving (church) culture
• Cathedral Signage – Word from the Guild of St. Joseph is that it is too late to erect the standards necessary for new signs on the green and that a permit will be needed from the city to install. The project will need to be postponed to spring
• Cathedral outside lighting – we are moving on upgrading fixtures and replacing with energy efficient LED lighting
• Safe Churches policy – online training modules now available. Health Ministry is working toward implementing for ministries under its purview.
From the Dean
• Routine activities – usual activities and duties include facility communions, commitments with diocesan and Cathedral groups and committees
• Board room audio/visual – recommendation
• Absence – 17-21 December to Calgary AB
• Christmas worship – 4, 8 and 11 p.m. Christmas Eve; 10 a.m. Christmas Day
Items for Decision
• Audio/Visual – that the board room be equipped with an internet connected screen for meeting use, viewing video and other learning purposes at an estimated cost of less than $1000
Items for Discussion
• Safe Churches – A broad implementation plan will be necessary as well as appointing a co-ordinator (officer) for the Safe Churches initiative which is now officially a requirement in the Diocese
• 2017 Budget Preparation – with the pending departure of our Treasurer, preparation of the 2017 budget needs to begin now. Groups and committees are asked to communicate budget needs through their respective members of Bishop and Chapter as soon as possible.
• Changing Church Culture – The discussion’s goal was review of our current context, what we do well and areas where we especially need to improve and invest in the next year. A comprehensive list was assembled and a short list of potential priorities identified for more detailed consideration. An in-depth discussion led to a decision to have a Chapter planning session on 10 December, which will be led by Bishop Edwards.
• Financial – a new format report summarizing monthly and year to date receipts and disbursements was received and reviewed.
• Advent Procession 4:00 p.m., 27 November
• Advent Friday Organ Recitals
• Christmas Lessons and Carols 4:00 p.m., 18 December
• Bishop’s Reception – 01 January
10 December – planning; 19 December, 16 January
19 February – Annual congregational meeting