Bishop and Chapter met on Monday evening, 19 September with ten of thirteen members present. Minutes of the June meeting were adopted. The Dean shared a reflection on leadership culture.
• Employment – David Drinkell began as Director of Music (half-time) on 17 July. Adam Lewis began as Sexton (full-time) on 25 July. Kathleen Snow began as Parish Nurse (half-time) on 01 September.
• Lay Administrators – Permission received from the Bishop for lay administrators of the chalice during worship and the reserved sacrament at home
• Hall Front Steps – Repair requirements have been considered and should begin this week.
• Chapter vacancies – Christian Formation: Bonnie Greenwood is nominated. Buildings and Property: vacancy created by the resignation of Bob Garland – nomination is in progress
• Piano – The Baldwin piano at the Cathedral has been purchased
• Offering Counting Procedures – a new process was initiated on 18 September which better follows diocesan recommended procedures and controls
From the Dean
• Worship and prayer leadership – the daily office is being said Monday – Friday 8:45 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.. Administrators of home communion are functioning in their role
• Pastoral – Farraline Place and Windsor Court communion in September. Visits to hospitals, home visits and home communions. One funeral.
• To do’s – Server Guild startup and training; baptism preparation during October for November baptisms
Items for Decision
• Chapter membership – Bonnie Greenwood elected to fill the chair of Christian Formation with the Chapter’s thanks and appreciation.
Items for Discussion
• Leadership Culture – leadership “culture” is the habits, practices and assumptions made regarding how an organization operates. The Cathedral is currently operating with a “puppeteer leadership model,” with the assumption that the dean is the puppeteer. Leadership is facilitating the contributions of others. The Dean shared his frustration that he cannot change the culture single-handedly but that it does need to change if we are to become more spiritually mature both individually and corporately. Chapter members having a group with which to work in their particular area of ministry is critical – things happen when people get together. The Chapter will read “Divine Renovation” by James Mallon.
• Financial – the Treasurer sent income and expenses report for information. Expenses will return to normal monthly levels and as budgeted for the period September – December.
• Mission / Outreach – brief update on the challenges of refugee sponsorship project and Belize Mission support. Visit the missions committee website for information.
• Communications – gift items sold during August at the Cathedral. Photo directory project underway. (Universal Portrait Studios)
• Administration and Finance – Several policies have been drafted and await consideration and adoption
• Hospitality – some changes to a fall supper (30 October) being recommended.
17 October; 21 November; 19 December