Bishop and Chapter met on Monday, 17 September with twelve of twelve usual members present. Minutes of the 18 June 2018 meeting were adopted. The Dean provided an article entitled “Forming an Effective Nominating Committee.” Members of the Chapter discussed our current practices and considered potential improvements.
- Ending Homelessness in Fredericton - a follow up meeting was held on 15 September with updates on the status of the Project. A small group from the Cathedral will be gathered to consider next steps
- Mission and Outreach Belize Budget - at this time, it appears the 2018 budget may cover anticipated expense
From the Dean
The Dean reviewed usual items of commitment since June noting that summer seemed unusually busy. Items of note included:
- pending appointment of Caroline Vanicek as head server
- first Sunday of October being Thanksgiving, evensong on 14 October
- up-coming this fall one individual wishing to enter discernment leading to ordination. Discernment committee will be needed
- 11 November is on Sunday. 10 a.m. worship moved to 9:45 a.m.
- clergy conference with Hugh Halter attended in August on “Your Church in the Future.” Will share with Chapter in the future
Hall usage - after determining that the downstairs hall floor is unsafe, it was decided to inform Scouts Canada to seek other meeting space
Property (re) development - a lengthy discussion about status of the conversation regarding Cathedral and Diocesan properties. Bishop’s consultant currently working with the Cathedral on a “future mission plan.” A congregational meeting has been recommended by R. Goodfellow (October). National Trust Conference 18-20 October to focus on religious heritage buildings - diocesan/Cathedral participation
- Treasurer - to date, expenses exceed revenue in the amount of approximately $80,000. Compared to last year to date, revenue is down by about $47,000. Considerable concern expressed by members of the Chapter. No conclusions were drawn as to specific causes. Suggestions, including encouraging e-offering and a Sunday presentation by the Treasurer, were made and discussed.
- Christian Formation - programme in Fall startup: Godly Play, Taizé worship, ALPHA (19 September), Family Faith Fiesta, Youth Groups. A brief overview of our experience with Godly Play was shared
- Administration and Finance - Odell House and Cathedral Hall properties being migrated this week to land titles. On-going communication with the Diocese regarding creating a policy on giving. Manual being reviewed to re-establish policy for staff
- Health and Pastoral Care - Programmes resuming. Interest in Fit Club is down. Support group for care givers of those with dementia being created. Brochure in production
- Communications - Summer projects included neighbourhood invitations to corn boil and other event promotion
- Property - South door repair still being investigated; investigation of potential a memorial tree planting on the green; lower hall floor has been assessed as unsafe; asphalt repair at west door should happen this month
- Worship - will call a meeting next month
- Hospitality, Welcoming and Membership - committee bing formed and will first address terms of reference. Meeting 20 September. Suggestion for larger freezer at the hall to be considered
Next meeting: 15 October 2018