Members of Bishop and Chapter met this past Monday evening, 24 April, with 8 of 13 members present. Vice-chair Catherine Schmidt chaired. John 14:1-7 was read and the Chapter reflected on Jesus’ words: “I am the way, the truth and the life.” Minutes from the 14 March meeting were adopted.
- Memorial Hall chair lift – the lift has been repaired and is in working order at a cost of about $5000.
- Music Director position – the Search Committee reports having completed interviews. The position has been offered and has been accepted pending the incumbent attending to details in preparation for a move. We continue to thank Sharon Pond as interim organist
- Christian Formation Committee chair – there has been no progress to date. This is a Bishop and Chapter leadership role very important to church life and health
- Member visitation – visitation has begun with the hope of visiting all by the end of May. About 40 visitors for over 400 identified households
- Parish Nurse – initial reports are that the pledge campaign goal of $11,000 per year over five years has been reached. After final confirmation of those totals, the Health and Pastoral Care Committee (Health Ministry Team), on behalf of the Chapter, is asked to give consideration to details required to move forward
From the Dean
- Monthly special care facility Communions, hospitals visits.
- Confirmation preparation continues with 6 Cathedral students participating and in partnership with the Parish of New Maryland and a tentative date for confirmation of 19 June.
- Baptism preparation for the Day of Pentecost requests for baptism must begin soon.
- The Dean spoke briefly about the need for a change in church culture regarding how we are all shaped and continue to grow in the Faith (formation). While we, for the most part, see formation as “continuous and terminal” there is need to move to an approach and widely held understanding of being “intentional and life-long” regarding Christian Formation. (Read Fr. James Mallon)
Items for Decision
- Steeple repair – it has been determined that necessary repair to roofing on the Cathedral steeple is covered by insurance minus a deductible at a cost of about $13,000. The Property Committee will initiate the work being completed as soon as possible.
- Organ repair – the Cathedral organ requires maintenance by way of some replacement of parts (contacts and leathers) at a quoted cost of about $3000. Sharon Pond will coordinate getting this work done.
- Cathedral grand piano – The grand piano at the Cathedral is on loan. The owner has determined the need to sell, preferably by 31 May. Appraisal value $16,000. Asking price is $12,000. The chapter will need to determine our course of action, if any.
- The Day of Pentecost (15 May) worship and luncheon at 10:30 a.m.
- Ordination 26 June (Sunday) at 4:00 p.m.
Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:00 p.m.
Monday, 20 June 2016